Markie's Musings

Monday, October 11, 2004

Thoughts from a seaside parking place

I've just spent a pleasant lunch with my son, Tim, who will be 35 in December. He is currently working as a "Leave Benefits Associate" with a disability-insurance management company in the San Fernando Valley. Their office is within 5 miles of the house where we lived when Tim and his older sister, Jenn went to Jr. and Sr. high school.

I had a few hours this morning between the time I awoke at my friend, Alex's, house after the party he had Sunday evening. As usual, there was an eclectic mix of people at Gemini Manor, Alex's unique house in Hollywood. There were nerds, musicians, theater people, film people, intellectuals, what-have-you. We spent time chatting, singing, socializing, munching barbeque, and exploring the miriad connected rooms of Alex's 'museum-like' abode. Everywhere you look, there is artwork, knick-knacks, architectural salvage, furniture, collectibles, anything and everything! Alex showed the promotional trailer for "The Dream of Alvareen", his first feature film project. Alex has gathered some exceptional talent and has a bit of work remaining before he will be able to premier, but what we saw exhibits grand promise.

So while I had to wait some several hours between awaking and my appointment in the afternoon, I took a liesurely drive out Sunset Boulevard, stopping for breakfast at "Mel's Drive-In" on the "Strip" and then out through Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Pacific Palisades before hitting Pacific Coast Highway and then Topanga Canyon out to Calabasas, where Tim and his wife, Karla both work. And on the way out, while driving through Beverly Hills, I placed a call to Tim on my cell phone; I felt every bit the consummate "Hollywood Insider" as I discussed the opportunity for Tim to make a creative contribution to Alex's film project with the music from one of the bands Tim has ties with. He is the former front-man for "Super Dank Brothers" and is manager of a group with some friends, "Strange Fruit." Their music is not particularly to my own tastes, but is a mix of Hip-Hop, Rock and Jazz, and definitely original.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home