Markie's Musings

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed)

Monday, 27 December, started as a fairly normal workday. We had just returned from a long Christmas weekend, traveling over 400 miles each way to spend time with family over the holidays.

I awoke, showered, had breakfast and got into my 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII for the 40 mile trip to my new job I had started two weeks before. I was pleased the showers predicted for the day had subsided somewhat, and marveled at the emptiness of the freeway as I entered by the mall on Blossom Hill Road. One mile down, at Almaden Boulevard, I noticed someone coming up the ramp, so I moved over to the center lane as I approached the 65-mile speed limit. Imagine my amazement as moments later I saw the car approaching, not at a merging angle up the ramp, but at 90 degrees to the traffic flow, directly into the lanes. I had a helpless feeling as the next few seconds unfolded, the car hit me directly on the passenger-side door, my car started spinning sideways and I tried to think of what to do. I had no time to avoid the collision, I just was praying there was no one approaching who might hit me. I managed to stay on the brakes as my car completed its spin which included striking the concrete barrier in the center and left me facing forwards up against the center divider on the overpass to Almaden Expressway. The other driver had stopped in the left shoulder lane, about 10 car-lengths back. I looked around and realized the entire right-side of the car was smashed in, shards of glass from the side windows covered every surface of the interior including my seat, and I was bleeding from several cuts on the back of my hand. I also was in a daze from the shock of it all, and this was to continue for the remainder of the week. Moving my head from side-to-side was becoming painful, but I managed to get out of the vehicle and commenced the process of dealing with the details of the collision. As I mentioned to the California Highway Patrol officer who showed up about 5 minutes later, we had just completed paying off the loan on the car which we had bought only three years earlier. What an irony that now we probably had to start payments over again! Here's a link to a page showing the car when I got it in 2001 and how it looked after the collision.

6 Comments:

  • Hey Mark Jaffe. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching canada car insurance quotes. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed) is way off base from canada car insurance quotes I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at canada car insurance quotes. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

    By Blogger Rebek, at 1:57 AM  

  • Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Mark Jaffe I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on san jose california car insurance and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed) but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to san jose california car insurance. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
    p.s some very good points on your blog

    By Blogger Rebek, at 3:21 AM  

  • Hey this blog is not about canada car insurance quotes. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on canada car insurance quotes and it brought me to your blog on Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed). The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Mark Jaffe and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
    If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

    By Blogger Rebek, at 4:35 PM  

  • I love your blog Mark Jaffe. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of aaa car insurance and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on aaa car insurance. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed) again!!

    By Blogger thomas, at 8:52 AM  

  • I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding antique car insurance and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Mark Jaffe your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on antique car insurance was way off when compared to Bizarre End to 2004 (I almost get killed) and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for antique car insurance for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
    P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
    P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at antique car insurance. You never know you may find some good deals!

    By Blogger thomas, at 1:01 PM  

  • I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

    http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com

    By Blogger sarahericks4763, at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home